Friday, August 14, 2009

First Day of School!

We actually started school 2 weeks ago, but once again, I'm behind in my blogging.

The kids were really excited about starting school again. After everyone got ready for the day and all the beds were made, we went outside to take our "First Day of School" pictures.

Here's Seth, my big 1st grader:

IMG_4903

And Luke, my potty accomplished preschooler. He's been able to identify all the letters and the sounds they make since he was 20 months old, but I'm not bragging or anything. Actually, I can't take any credit for it. He learned it all from a video.

IMG_4901

We started our day with a geography lesson. We made a huge map on the floor and labeled all the continents. The boys hopped around Australia like kangaroos, waddled across Antartica like penguins, roared like lions in Africa, climbed the Eiffel tower in Europe, and swam across the Atlantic to America.

Here they are pretending to be statues in Europe (don't worry, they cleaned up all those toys after our geography lesson):

IMG_4904

And swimming across the Atlantic:

IMG_4905

Then Seth did some math.

IMG_4908

And Luke had a snack.

IMG_4911

Seth wanted me to take a picture of his leg on the counter.

IMG_4912

Then I gave them each a bag and told them to put 5 items in their bags that told me something about who they are.

Luke brought back some legos and a twirly light. The photographer forgot to include the top of his head in his photo.

IMG_4914


Seth brought his sandals (because he thinks they're really cool), a water hose sprayer (I still don't know where he got it, but I have a suspicion that it was under his bed), some money, a Bakugan, and the Nintendo PSP.

IMG_4915

Then we talked about how a biography is a story that tells about a real person and if we wrote a biography about them (Seth and Luke), we would include stories about the things in their bags. They thought that was really cool. Well, at least Seth did. Luke wanted another snack. We're currently reading a biography about Ben Franklin.

So far, Seth's favorite subjects are spelling and science. Luke likes art and science. And snack.

No comments: